Indian Summer Day

It is a beautiful Indian summer day, about 58 degrees and sunny.  Hope it lasts awhile.

I have been lazy today.  Mike is home for fall break (Did we ever have fall break?  I don’t remember any breaks until Thanksgiving?)  He basically has a long weekend.  Mike goes back to class on Wed.  Anyway, I baked some cookies since he was home.  I need to make some brownies because I have some buttermilk I need to get rid of.  I made this yummy dessert called “Monster Salad” for my friend, Maggie, when I took dinner over to her the other day.  (She had rotator cuff surgery–her fourth.  She helped me out a lot when I had mine back in Feb so I thought the least I could do would be take over dinner.)  Anyway, this Monster Salad calls for buttermilk.  It’s about the only time I use buttermilk.  I don’t care for buttermilk much, but the “salad” (dessert) is delicious.  It has vanilla pudding, buttermilk, Cool Whip, mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple and FUDGE STRIPED COOKIES in it.  Yum, yum.  Anyway, now I have leftover buttermilk. (No leftover Monster Salad, though.)

My, this is an exciting entry.  (Sorry. I was nodding off there for a moment.)

I waited for the furnace man part of the afternoon.  You know how that goes.  “He will come sometime between 1:00-3:00.”  So, you have to stay home, by the phone, waiting for the repair guy to show up.  We are just getting our furnace winterized.  (Dennis is real big on maintaining equipment. That’s why our cars and appliances last for years and we’re always about 10 years behind the times!)  I wish we could make appointments at the office that way.  Maybe we wouldn’t have so many people mad about waiting in the waiting the room.  The problem would be they would all show up at once, though!  Waiting for the repairman to call and say he is on his way is kind of like when we were teenagers, waiting for someone to call on Friday or Saturday night.  I guess it’s just another of life’s lessons.  Patience.  Wait all afternoon so you can be charged $175.

I played on the internet, mostly Face Book games like Farm Town and Cafe’ World, while I waited.  I also signed up for NaNoWriMo again this year.  It is an internet program that encourages writing.  NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month and you try to write 50,000 words in 30 days.  I have tried it the past two years, but always ended up quitting.  I hope I can finally do it this year!  I have been thinking about using the blog to do some writing, so we’ll see how that works out.  Maybe you guys can give me ideas or encouragement, or tell what you think. (That might not be a good idea if you guys hate what I write!!) 

My old printer conked out.  I think it was from all those class pictures I was scanning the past year or so!  And the booklet for the reunion.  Anyway, Mike and I went to Office Depot last night and picked up a new one.  I wanted to get it while he was here so he could install it for me.  It’s so much easier to have a teenager install instead of reading through the manual and try to figure it out myself.  Every household should have a teenager for that purpose.  Maybe we should start a new business called “Rent-a-Teen.”  Just have him for hooking up electronics, then send him away so you don’t have to see his dirty room or feed him.  Sounds like a plan!  (Actually, I am enjoying having Mike around and will miss him when he goes back to Lincoln tomorrow.)  Our grocery bill went up this weekend.  Amazing what a difference that makes.

The towel rack in the boys’ bathroom downstairs came off the wall.  (Heavy duty hand drying, I guess!) The molly bolts and all came out.  The dry wall torn off a little so I spackled the wall and sanded it this a.m., then painted it this afternoon.  Now that it’s dry, Mike is not here to  rehang the towel rack.  He left with a friend who goes to UNO.  They were going to hang out this afternoon.  His friend works at 4:00, though, so Mike should be showing up anytime now. 

I have had some fun today, scanning old pictures.  I want to scan Dave’s pictures and put them on a CD for him for Christmas.  Today I did Halloween pictures.  It was fun to look at all the costumes the kids have had through the years.  Joe still dresses up for Halloween.  His friend, Kristen, has a Halloween party every year, so all the kids dress up for it.  They have some pretty elaborate costumes.  No more Batman pajamas!  Last year, Joe got a kilt and sword and dressed up like William Wallace (“Braveheart”) with face paint and all.  This year he is going as Roschack, a character in the strange movie, “Watchmen.”  Basically, he will wear a white mask with an inkblot on it.  Apparently, they sell them somewhere.

Yesterday I was in the local “cheap junk” store, Nobbies, looking for baskets to put things in for our receptionists.  I made “Stress Relief” kits for them.  Anyway, Nobbies was packed.  They have all kinds of Halloween crap including hundreds of costumes.  I remember when Mangelsen’s was the only place in Omaha where you could get good Halloween costumes.  Anyway, it was a madhouse!  I found what I wanted and dashed out of there as fast as I could.  They do have some cool things besides costumes–cauldrons that “smoke,” all kinds of sound effect things, statues that move, etc.  A lot of what Nobbies has is cheap little toys like rings or rubber snakes by the gross.  A lot of schools and room mothers get party favors there.  Anyway, this time of year, you take your life into your own hands, going in there!

This last week at work was very stressful, especially for the receptionists.  They had over 350 phone calls in one day!  People lose patience when they are on hold or don’t get the answer they want, so the girls at the front desk were really stressed out.  I made the stress kits for them and left them yesterday.  I haven’t heard yet what they thought.  I put little bottles of wine, stress balls, packets of Tylenol, Tums, candles for aroma therapy, Hawaiian leis so they could pretend they were at the beach, chocolates, and a dart board so they could put pictures on it (of the nurses and doctors) and fire away!  I hope they got a kick out of it.  When people work as hard as they have been and don’t get recognition or thanks, they may think about leaving for another job!  I don’t want that to happen!  Unfrotunately, some the nurses and doctors get short with them and snip at them, so I am trying to counteract that bad behavior.

Well, Mike is home, so I will get on with my afternoon.  Keep in touch!  Hope you are all well (or getting well, Lynne and Deb.)  I think of all of you guys often and have fond memories of this summer.  Thank you!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s