I just finished stuffing the rest of the envelopes with the DVDs and CDs in them.  Bill F sent me the rest of the copies he made and I spent the evening addressing envelopes, putting the DVDs in the envelopes, sticking on return addresses and then four stamps on each manila envelope.  Whew!  Time to go to bed!

But…before I do that, I wanted to update the blog real quick.  I won’t be able to do it next week because my schedule is full! 

Most of you heard that Linda Gehrman Allen died last week.  She had a bad heart and was in a nursing home since last Spring.  If you guys are on Face Book, I created a group called the Broken Bow All Alumni group.  I am encouraging people to share news with each other and one of the discussion topics I started is deceased classmates. We are posting the obits on it. 

All is not gloomy, though.  We also have a topic called “Where do you live now?” and “most memorable teacher at BBHS.” (Heard that one before, right?)

Vikki had a rough couple of weeks in mid July.  She was hearing the angels!  I’m glad she decided to stay on Earth with us awhile longer, though!  She was flown to the Kearney hospital after having a seizure and cardiac arrest.  Fortunately, she pulled through, but it was touch and go for awhile.  One good thing that came out of this is I became her daughter, Babette’s, friend on Face Book!  Vikki is maintaining her sense of humor.   She had lost some of her memory because of the seizure and arrest, so Babette made a memory book for her.  She put pictures of the various children and grandchildren in the book and is helping Vikki remember the names.  (When Vikki came to the other day, she knew Babette was her daughter, but didn’t remember her name.)  Vikki told Babette she didn’t want to call it a Memory Book because that made it sound like someone was dead!  So, instead, they are calling it the Remember Book.  Our prayers are with Vikki as she recovers. 

Sonia had an interesting time a couple days ago.  What a grandma won’t do for her grandkids!  She and two of her granddaughters (ages 3 and 6) had a slumber party in their camper. During the night, the 3 year old started throwing up!  What an adventure!  Then Sonia started gagging.  She said, “I guess we should have gone in the house and slept on the bathroom floor!”  You guys broke that camper in good now, Sonia! 

Deb Mc had the opportunity on Monday to go on a Chinook helicopter with the National Guard.  She flew (“choppered?”)  to Wyoming to a training base.  She is sending me the pdf file so I can share it with you.  She said the scenery was breathtaking.  They left the back of the helicopter open.

I remember flying in the medical helicopter for the med center and I always thought the view was the most fantastic thing!  I am afraid of heights and refuse to go up in a ferris wheel, but I loved flying in the helicopter.  Once we were flying over a stream and I could see individual muskrat homes. (What do you call them?  Beavers have dams.  What do muskrats have?)  Anyway, it is fantastic (although noisy, so you have to wear earphones).  Our pilots were Vietnam vets who flew during the war so I always felt safe.  I figures it they flew helicopters in Vietnam, they could surely do it in the Midwest!   Once one of the pilots, Wes, was taking a doctor and me to Hastings to pick up a set of preemie twins.  It was late at night and stormy.  We were bouncing around quite a bit.  Wes’ voice came on our earphones.  “I don’t know, you guys.  It’s pretty rough.”  A  little while later, he was on again, “I just wonder if this is a good idea.”  He kept expressing his doubts to us.  David (the doctor) and I were getting pretty nervous.  We could see lightning and the ride was pretty bumpy.  Again, Wes said, “Holy cow, guys!  It is rough out there! What do you think we should do?”  I yelled, “We don’t know, Wes!  You’re the pilot!  We’re back here saying the rosary!  You decide!”  We made it to Hastings intact finally.  We picked up the babies and headed back to Omaha.  The ride home was much better because the storms had passed.  It was a crazy flight.  I have a lot of medical transport stories, but that is one of the most memorable ones for me! 

The class of 1970 has had their share of losses lately.  I wrote about Deb Smith earlier.  Initially, they were saying she had pneumonia, but then the test results came back and she had H1N1 (swine flu).  She was the first death in Nebraska caused from H1 N1.  Then last week Dennis White died of heart cancer. Patty D told me Dennis was the fourth in their class to die this year and they have lost 10 total. 

Neil emailed that he wished he could’ve made it to the reunion.  The discussion about draft numbers brought this response: “I remember my draft number very well. Kleeb and I were living together at Kearney when it came up on the tube. NUMBER 18.  Daves was in the 300’s if I remember. Seems I drank that day. It was as good an excuse as any!”

Hob pointed out that Brad’s comment about the Senior boys who helped finish the new school missed someone.

“I also worked on the School to get it ready for us to be the first graduating class in the new Building. I worked on doing some cement for sidewalks and putting shelves in the library.” 

He added, “I think all those old school papers should be given to the Alumni Center as they are priceless and a glimpse into life at the New High School at the point in time.”

Well, I better go to bed.  I have to get up and go to work in the morning and it’s already 12:30 am!  Keep in touch!  And watch for your DVD and CDs if you weren’t at the reunion!  Thanks again to Bill for helping out with those!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s